7.22.2015

The Age of the Podcast

Check, check. Hello? Is this thing [still] on?
Oh okay, good. I thought maybe the power had gone out over here while I was gone.

I am now going to blog as if I haven't been gone for months on end. 


Lately I have realized something about myself: I don't like watching stuff.

No wait, let me clarify. Because I do like watching people, and I do like watching nature, and I do like watching live performances and shows. 

I just don't like watching TV and related media.

I've never liked watching TV, though. I thought I liked watching TV when I was younger, but sometimes it would give me a headache, and often I would get bored quickly. These things have amplified as I've grown up, and they've extended themselves to internet (lookin' at you, YouTube) and movies and such. It's a chore for me to watch a music video, and I literally can't imagine ever paying money for cable or Netflix.

But guys. GUYS. I've discovered the most wonderful replacement! It's called podcasts. And if you are in any way like me, you should check 'em out. It's all the fun of listening to something without any of the pain of stopping to watch it. They are the single best dishwashing motivator in the world, keep me company on my daily walk-runs, and play hands free in the car. I believe that is what we call "the best of all worlds."


Here are a few that I'm loving on lately:

:: Happier with Gretchen Rubin. Gretchen and her sister Elizabeth discuss small, actionable ways for you and me to be happier in everyday life. I love the fun sisterly dynamic between these two! That dynamic places it squarely in my favorite kind of podcast, which is where two people just have and record a conversation together and then post it.

:: Stuff You Should Know. Another highly conversational podcast with Josh and Chuck, who are on a mission to help you learn about every topic in the world. Just go look at the last 5 topics on their podcast page and I bet one will pique your interest. Bonus: I laugh out loud in every episode.

:: Mystery Show. I don't know why there haven't been any new episodes lately (Starlee? Are you listening??), but this podcast involves the detailing of a weekly mystery and its un-Google-able solution. The mysteries are often trivial, but that adds to the fun. And the host has a remarkable talent for getting random strangers to spill their most genuine hopes, dreams, and life secrets.

:: Marriage is Funny. Conversational! Jessie and Gerard are married and chatting about it. I love the openness and tenderness in their discussions. The topics involve modern marriage issues (e.g. cell phone use, career/family balance), and I sense no facade of perfection, which makes every episode very relate-able.

:: Lore. Aaron tells spooky stories from around the world, but not just in fictional form. By offering plenty of research, historical background, and witness accounts, he makes each story feel quite possibly real. But don't be scared! His main goal is to give you some real-life food for thought by the end, and he does a good job at that.

:: Note to Self. I'm new to this one, but I've liked every episode so far. Manoush Zomorodi investigates technology and its effects on everyday life, with a continued goal of helping listeners find balance between the digital and the real. More of a journalistic approach here, which is not conversational but is still enjoyable.

If you're new to podcasts, choose a couple of the above and check out a couple episodes. Let me know what you think! And if you are already a diehard fan, holler with recommendations. I'm starting to believe that one can never have too many podcasts...

1 comment:

  1. Yay! You're back!!!!! :) I never would have known that you don't like watching things. I will have to try a podcast sometime.

    ReplyDelete