6.21.2012

On a year


One year ago, my mom snapped this photo from the front window:
It's one of my favorite photos. 
And that porch is one of my favorite places. It has been for years. It's my "thoughtful spot." (Winnie the Pooh, anyone?)


Tonight I sat on my porch and thought a lot about years. 
Here's what I concluded:
A year sounds long, but it goes by quickly. 
Lots of things can change in a year, but most things don't. 
And the way time passes is utter craziness.


I've tried to write all sorts of my thoughts to go along with these conclusions, but it's getting late and I'm not finding a good way to get my points across. So here is the main thought that I really like: 


Last year on this night, I cried far more than is becoming of a lady (and far more than I expected to or wanted to). 
This year, tonight, I spent my time smiling.
Lots of things can change in a year; most things don't. I always prefer things that don't have to change.
But this particular difference is a pretty darn good one.




And I really like that one missionary a lot.

6 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUL. & I love that picture an awful lot. TOO cute. Way to be sneaky, Sis. Shirley. I still call flower girl for you & that one missionary, Lyss! Congrats on making it a year. Only one left. Yaaaaaaaaay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Emma, I promise you can be flower girl! And thank you!

      Delete
  2. So sweet. I love your tender words. You should make a chain when it gets closer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assure you there will be a chain at some point. Not sure when such a craft will become feasible, but it will happen!! And thanks Bri, love you :)

      Delete
  3. You and that porch have quite a history. Aren't porches grand! Happy one year day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My future home will have the best porch in the history of porches. Thanks Madre :) And...thanks for creepin a picture.

      Delete