2.05.2014

Homework

IP&T 202, online discussion board. Informal weekly writing on the topic of LEARNING.


Prompt 3: Leonardo da Vinci wrote, “Iron rusts from disuse, stagnant water loses its purity and in cold weather becomes frozen; even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind...The natural desire of good men is knowledge” (p. 49).  Do you agree or disagree with Leonardo’s statement?


I agree with Leonardo’s statement, and I especially like that he calls knowledge a “natural desire.” We know from fairly recent research that exercising our minds is important, but most of us would probably exercise them even if scientists did not tell us we need to. People in all times and ages have desired to learn, regardless of their knowledge or lack of knowledge of the benefits of doing so for their future brain coherence. When I reflect on my own learning, I find joy in the moments I can recall that I suddenly understood something more deeply or differently. I think we are simply wired to enjoy those moments.

However, I am not sure why we enjoy these. Why did a new discovery cause Archimedes to run through the streets naked exclaiming, “Eureka! I have found it!”? Why have scientists in different eras and different countries dedicated their lives to discovering new elements, formulas, and species, and then explaining their thoughts on those things to the general public? Why do I tell my husband every little thing I learn in school every day? Perhaps the key here is growth. We are wired to survive so that we can grow physically; therefore, maybe we are also wired to learn so that we can grow mentally.

Another possibility is this: We learn from modern revelation that “the glory of God is intelligence” (D&C 93:36). If His glory comes from what he has learned, and we want to be like God, we too are going to have to learn. We might as well enjoy it!




School is cool.


Wait! While I'm here, let me tell you my favorite story about Archimedes because, surprisingly, it is not the eureka one. I learned this one last semester in Math History.

Archimedes was a nut job about his mathematical works. He was constantly working out problems in his head, and sometimes he would go for days without eating, bathing, or otherwise taking care of himself. When others would make him participate in normal life activities, he would still draw his calculations in whatever nearby medium he could find (e.g. his mashed potatoes, oils on his skin, the dirt on the ground). 

When Roman soldiers attacked his city, they were told to bring Archimedes back alive. He was a valuable resource since he had a talent for inventing war machines. One Roman soldier found Archimedes drawing a geometry problem in the sand, completely oblivious to everything happening around him, and commanded him to come along. Archimedes simply said, "Don't touch my circles." (I picture him saying this like a moody teenager.)

The Roman soldier was mad about that response, so he killed Archimedes. The end.

Ok I'm sorry about that ending, but I just love how cray-cray that Archimedes was. So much focus, so little time! If only I could do so well at focusing on my homework...




No comments:

Post a Comment