8.19.2014

Start of summer

Okay, I realize that everyone's actually gearing up for school to start again in the next couple weeks, but Joseph was taking classes all summer long, and last week he finished them up, so we're now officially on our summer break! We don't have much planned since our work schedules are not conducive to nice long day trips, but we did party pretty hardy last week.

On Tuesday night (Joe's reading day), I got off of work a little bit early and we headed to Salt Lake for an outdoor concert featuring Toto and Michael McDonald. Toto recently became Joe's second favorite band (you haven't heard of his first favorite, probably), so when he saw that they were coming to SLC, he asked if we could splurge on tickets. And we did! Happy reading day to us, basically.

Quick side note: I have blogged about Toto before. Remember this post, when I fell in love with "Hold the Line"?? I think it's hilariously ironic that I was, like, really excited for this concert with these guys I once laughed at for their hair. 

So anyway, we drove toward some stormy looking skies, listening to Toto all the way, stood in a long line to get into Red Butte Gardens (I love the word butte), and snagged a nice grassy spot with our trashy car blankets. And then 10 minutes before showtime, it mega-rained. Ugh. We were pretty wet and cold, even though some really nice people near us shared their umbrella with us. But the rain passed and we enjoyed the concert mucho mucho! Plus, GUESS WHAT. You know how Toto sings that song "Africa" that blesses the rains? WE BLESSED THE RAINS and it was downright magical. Hilariously, the rain stopped right after they sang that song. Rain voodoo...

Pics or it didn't happen.

Laughing because we don't know how cold and wet we're about to be + Joe's wearing a Toto shirt:
Stormy skies + the venue:
One of the best sunsets in the world + cold and wet me (Harry Potter blanket, of course):
So that was Tuesday. We got home really late, which meant Joe got about 3 hours of sleep before he had to go to his early morning job. But that didn't stop us from staying out late again! By about noon on Wednesday, Joe had finished all of his final exams, so we celebrated again, this time with an outdoor movie at the Scera Shell. Can you guess what movie?
If you guessed Catching Fire, you're correct. And for some reason, watching this movie in the wide open outdoors was creepy for me. I mean, I wasn't expecting to get stabbed, but I wouldn't have been surprised if cannons went off and I saw faces projected in the sky, you know? So that was an interesting side effect of the outdoor venue.

Of course, this gave us another really late night, so then we spent the rest of our week at our normal activities. Sleeping, eating, working, and Peaks for the two of us. Practicing for him. Blogging for me. You understand. Oh! and we did a puzzle at some point. Mmmm I love puzzles.

Okay I got a lil off track in that last paragraph so I'll just wrap it up now. We are enjoying our late summer nights! We'll worry about school starting when we reach Labor Day or something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment