9.18.2014

Fall 2014 semester run-down

Do I even need to explain that these are a thing every time I do them anymore? What am I possibly going to post about on this lil blog after I graduate from college? Must remember to look into graduate degrees...

Okay so here are my pre-judgments for all of this semester's classes. I want to preface this by saying that the only classes I actually had to take this semester were my math ed practicum class and a letters general ed credit. I'll mention which ones are filling these credits, and then everything else can be assumed to be superfluously wonderful (wonderfully superfluous? ...whatever). 

Math Teaching in Public Schools :: This is my practicum (read: REQUIRED) and it is the last class in the major. Ack! The end is near! And they make us go out with a bang apparently. During the course of the semester, we will be observing in schools and teaching our peers, all of which will lead up to a week of teaching in schools (see what I did there?) sometime in December. And they use scare tactics the whole way there! Every time one of us teaches, that person is chosen at random at the beginning of that class period, which means we get no advance notice. I might cry on my first round. Who knows.

World Religions :: Okay okay okay you all need to take this class immediately and you need to take it from Alonzo Gaskill. He is the most hilarious professor on this planet, plus his name is Alonzo. I cannot even describe his sense of humor in a way that will accurately convey the hilarity, but I can say that he reminds me often of Stephen Colbert, so. This class is also obviously fascinating on its own merit because of the subject matter, and can I just shout out to my home girl Joliene real quick? Cuz your posting through the last few years has given me a surprising amount of background knowledge to bring to my study. Cheers.

Literacy and Learning for Disciplines :: Or in my particular case, how to fit in as a real life mathematician. This class asks us to investigate how our individual disciplines require individual literacy skills for somebody to survive as a member of the discipline. Turns out that reading math proofs is far different from reading sewing patterns! So we study it. Also: there are only 5 students in this class, and the professor is not opposed to swears, so it's a lively, friendly time. Not sure if I'll love it as much as I expected, but I don't have to because it's my other REQUIRED class (letters credit), so who needs love?

Marriage Enhancement :: Now, I don't mean to sound pompous here, but I'm not sure I'll learn anything in this class this semester, which is a letdown. The title sounds like, "Have a great marriage? Come and make it even better!" but the class really is just, "Don't know how you'll ever stay married without counseling? Come and we'll help!" I'm not closed to the possibility that it may take a surprisingly helpful turn a ways down the road, but for now I'm mostly just going to class for attendance credit and thanking my lucky stars that my marriage with Joseph is a good one. And I'm hoping that the professor will someday drop his high degree of sexism so that I can enjoy his presence.

Family Finance :: This is an online section (the future is now, folks!) and I have done .01% of the work for the class. Mostly I'm hoping that I learn (1) how to someday buy a house, and (2) why credit even matters, so I'll be happy if I achieve these. I will also be happy if I can finish the course earlier than the end of the semester because the only rule is that you can't finish it in less than 6 weeks or something. Cha-ching (MONEY PUN). 

For fun and future reference (when I'm in my 40s and come back to audit every class I ever wanted to take but couldn't), these are classes I really wanted to take but could not fit into my schedule:

VASTU 330: Bookbinding cuz duh.
DIGHT 250: Web Publishing because I really really really want to learn HTML.
WS 222: Intro to Women's Studies because I can't decide how much of a feminist I am (or amn't).
SFL 160: Intro to Family Processes because I have heard from every SFL major ever that this class is the best, with an especial recommendation from close friend Brittany
PWS 103: Residential Landscape Design because Joe's dad is taking this class this semester and we bond often over our love of plants so it would be adorable. Also it would round out my current planty education nicely.

And there are other classes that weren't even possibilities this semester but have come up in other semesters and been missed! Waaahhh why do I have to be finishing college so soon? Can't I just student forever? Don't answer that.

This is how I've kept track of my classes since freshman year. I definitely didn't take the suggested classes in the suggested semesters, but who really does? Since it's been craziness and out of order, I have opened this lil screen capture in Paint at the end of every semester to update it. I did prematurely cross off this semester's required classes because I feel confident that I will pass. And now, all that is left is my student teaching semester. Wowzer.

Okay thanks, as always, for listening to my bloggy rambles. This semester will be fun and I really am looking forward to it! In the wise words of Mario, "Heeere we gooo!"

1 comment:

  1. You said amn't and that just made my day, cuz even though I know it's not a word...it's always been a word to me. Although we quit saying it years ago, I still think our creatively invented contraction was a smart and logical assumption in our language development.

    ReplyDelete