9.13.2014

Two covers

As a general rule, I'm not a lover of covers. Song covers, that is (cuz goodness knows I love to cuddle up in a ton of blankets). I figure that once a song has been written and sung and recorded, that was how it was intended to be sung and recorded. Let it be, let it be. 

But every now and then, I do run into a cover that catches me by surprise. And I tell myself that it's okay to like this different version better than the original because remember that one time in That Thing You Do when Guy decides that it should be an up tempo number instead of a ballad? And that's basically why they become successful? 

So when someone highlights a crucial element of a song in a unique way, I can appreciate that. 

These two songs fall in that category of covers for me.





Did I ever for one second think about the seriously romantic implications of "I'm Gonna Be" until I heard this rendition? No, no I did not. Actually, I couldn't understand the majority of that song until this rendition. Highlighting the lyrics is good.

And I dunno what sucked me in to that Charlene Soraia version of "Wherever You Will Go," but I do know that I never liked the original version, so this is sexist but it probably just needed a woman to sing it. Or something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment