12.24.2014

10 points to Gryffindor if you find the HP reference

I found a really really hilarious blogger a few months ago and decided to read some of her archives over Christmas break cuz no homework means FREE TIME!! And here's the thing: I just really admire her ability to whip a funny story out of every single day. And I also admire the way she just writes random crap and it somehow all ties together before she's done writing. How does she do that?

Anyway, I just wanted to discuss on a slightly-deeper-than-surface level how downright literary it feels to start at the beginning of somebody's personal online story and just read. Maybe it's because I've always been a big fan of books written in letter or email or Post-It note form, or maybe it's because this wouldn't actually be true for all humans but this girl happens to be a good writer, or maybe I'm just downright crazy. But gosh darn it--I feel like I'm learning stuff! I am relating to this person! And if Amy Poehler's autobiography can be a subject for deep discussions at book clubs across the nation, then I'm counting this blog as literary. 

I'm also hoping that nobody ever does this to my blog, ever.

And I'm gonna be a jerk and not link up to her because it's low-level embarrassing that I am literally reading posts from 1999 with full intentions to go straight through until 2014 (2015! cuz it's coming up!). Lemme know if you're mad about it and I might change my mind.

In the meantime, I guess I should warn you that my posts may very well start to look more like hers, by which I mean they may be wordier and storier (story-er?). I feel like my 2014 blog was "the year of events," wherein I finally learned how to just get the pictures and brief synopses of the cool things we did onto the world wide web in a timely manner. And now I feel like I want my 2015 blog to have less of that (not none cuz I still like pictures) and more of the day-to-day stories of my life. You might get to hear some of the crazy conversations I have with Joe. Goodness knows we're hilarious in the solitude of our little apartment.

This is not an official goal, so we'll see. And yes, this post is a test run of the very thing I just mentioned. NO PICTURES HA!


Also, in the interest of keeping a somewhat running narrative: we have caught no mouse and I'm starting to believe that I scared it enough by screaming and crying at it during its first visit that it may never return. Or maybe it's dead of its own starving accord in the back of our pantry. Ew. Also, are you supposed to replace the peanut butter on the trap after a couple days? Isn't it gonna get all dry and crusty and gross? Will mice still eat crusty peanut butter? Ugh I've been in overdrive trying to think my way through all this and it's exhausting. SOS.

K that's all for real now. I probably won't post tomorrow because, hello, Christmas! But I hope to be back often over this school break and beyond. Happy Christmas, all you Harrys!

6 comments:

  1. If you wanna send me the link to her website I like wouldn't complain. I hope the mouse thing gets wrapped up here soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would love to know! those are the BEST blogs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just realized I can give directions to find her blog easy without necessarily giving a link! So for Carrie here and all future interested peeps: just Google "mimi smartypants" and you'll find her. Enjoy!

      Delete