12.01.2014

Wanted: A break

[I wrote this last week but didn't post it. We're a lil more put back together now, but I'm still posting it.]

This weekend I realized that I haven't been grocery shopping in approximately 6 weeks. We had no bread, eggs, Q-tips, fruits, or vegetables. We were low on pancake mix, toilet paper, cereal, sugar, butter, tortillas, and cheese. We did have milk! But only because I buy it at BYU on my way home from work whenever we're almost out, and that happened on Friday.

This weekend I realized that I haven't cleaned off my junk chair in approximately 5 weeks. It held a scarf that was gifted to me randomly by a friend last month, a massive stack of textbooks, mixed class notes for at least 4 different classes, a batch of Shutterfly pics, and probably about 20 off-the-wall receipts. There were 4 pairs of my shoes scattered around its base.

This weekend I realized that I haven't ironed anything in approximately 4 weeks, haven't gassed up my car in approximately 3 weeks, haven't vacuumed in approximately 2 weeks, haven't shaved my legs for at least a week, haven't cleaned the mail off of the kitchen table for the entire week, and haven't really been so busy that I didn't have time for all those things.

And I'm sitting here, typing this, with none of these things remedied except that I stole two loaves of bread and a handful of Q-tips from my parents. And I have a cry headache because I also realized this weekend that I do this "I'm suddenly overwhelmed so I won't do anything" thing every year at about this time of year and then I felt overwhelmed because I recognized an overwhelming pattern AND because I admitted that I'm overwhelmed when I have nothing that's really even overwhelming. And I told all this to Joseph and he responded with comforting and loving words and a really long hug (three, actually) and the right amount of common sense.

And I wanted to tell this story because if anyone wants to drop by with eggs tomorrow I'll love you a lot. 

Jk. We're opting to eat out tomorrow night so we don't have to worry about dinner. DON'T BRING EGGS.

I just wanted to tell this story for reality's sake. This is my life, right now, tonight. It'll probably be better in the morning, and it'll definitely be better after Thanksgiving break, but for right now, I just don't have it all together. And that's probably fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment