5.17.2012

Padre and the Coche

I should mention that yesterday was not all lucky. 


Here's the deal. 
My car is "un pedaso," as my father would say. 
(That means "a piece" in Spanish...and you can just infer the "of what" that we're leaving off there.)
On my way to school yesterday, the tube attached to my power steering fluid got a little tired and sprouted a hole.
By the time I got to campus, all that lovely, emerald, necessary-to-life-and-safe-driving fluid was GONE.
And the front of my car was leaking green tears.
And there was a trail of smoke coming from both ends.
And I almost couldn't turn the steering wheel. Like I almost hit the far curb on a left turn with two lanes to spare because I wasn't strong enough to turn the dang wheel.
And it was scary.


So I hollered at Dad, who was (fortunately) on his lunch break. 
He came to campus and saved the day, of course, as he is wont to do.
He got my car into a parking spot, which I had been unable to do. 
He told me it was reparable and not to worry and a "what would I do with my free time if there wasn't something wrong with your car?" joke and a few other things to calm my verging hysteria.
I went to SLC, grateful that I had not offered to be the driver of our class-wide carpool. 
When I came home, my car was in working order. The steering wheel turned and everything!
(Apparently it smoked and smoked and smoked the entire way home, though. Poor baby.)
It's most likely a temporary fix, though. Just about everything in my car is a temporary fix.


So life is not all lucky and hunky-dory. My car is un pedaso. I drive with my brake light and engine light on every day. My safety is probably jeopardized on a regular basis when I drive it (that's not sarcasm). I was almost stranded last night in PROVO, of all places (that is sarcasm). And I barely survived the ordeal emotionally and mentally.


But I am very grateful for my father who would save me from any such circumstance in a heartbeat, and who did so yesterday. It was more than luck that landed me with him for a dad.
Aren't dads just the greatest? Except mine is the greatest of the greatest. 


Thanks Dad for everything you do--but for today, especially with regards to my car. I love you! 
Love, Sassa.

No comments:

Post a Comment