5.17.2012

Lucky, Part 17

Today I went to a public speaking conference thing in SLC for the Mountain West chapter of the National Speakers Association. It was a sweet deal organized by my teacher for us to attend with a student discount, and it counted for class time today. It was also a great opportunity for networking and acting like real adults. Also, it was held in the Founders Room of the Zions Bank building, which overlooks Temple Square and apparently is ritzy. Basically just a really great experience across the board. 


I had an especially lovely time. I quite enjoyed the view: 
(Do you see that?? I was secretly happy that the meeting lasted long enough for me to get a nighttime picture of the temple, and then it did. Hello beautiful!)


However, my real stroke of luck wasn't just the fact that I got to attend, nor was it the fact that I got to stay long enough for the picture I wanted. My real stroke of luck was winning the following: 


(Back story: for public speaking, we each gave self-introduction speeches. One of the things I mentioned was my brilliant luck. The class thought it was hilarious, but probably lots of them thought it was a joke.)


(They don't think I'm joking anymore.)


Winning #1 = $50 bill. We had an activity where everyone wrote their name and number on a card. The cards were then collected, paperclipped to some money (amounts ranging from $1 to $50), and redistributed at random. We were to call the person whose card we received right then and return to them their card with the money attached. The poor person whose card I called got one of a bunch of $1 bills. The man who called me returned my card attached to the only $50 bill in the activity. Word.


Winning #2 = free book, Paid to Speak. There were door prizes. I won the first one they announced. This was kind of business as usual, but my classmates noticed of course. One whispered loudly from the back, "That's the lucky girl!" and then the man who had previously given me the $50 bill said, "Yeah she is! She also won the 50!" And then my whole class about lost it. Double word. 


I probably shouldn't take advantage of this luck so often because it makes me feel bad for other people, but I can't not enter drawings. Ya know? The guy across from me at the table today said I should write a book on how to win things, but I didn't have a clue what I'd put in it. Here's the deal: you can only win as many drawings as you enter, so enter a lot if you want to win any at all. And then just believe you're lucky, and it will seem like you are. There's my advice. Go fight win everyone!



(PS: Somebody please tell me to start taking my real camera places again. Instagram doesn't cut it for the blog.)

2 comments:

  1. hey alyssa-
    start taking your real camera places. Instragram just doesn't cut it for your blog.
    (i'll help remind you if you help remind me?)
    also, way to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha thanks, Shaundra. You da best, and you've got a deal!
      Also, thanks.
      Also, I miss you and Mal! We will remedy this in the near future.

      Delete