5.14.2012

Something to think about



I've mentioned before that I don't believe in multitasking. This doesn't mean that I never multitask myself, but it does mean that I avoid it whenever possible. Ok, really I know it's always possible, I just don't always do it. Even as I sit here, I'm constantly switching between typing this, eating a pudding cup, texting, and checking for a new blog post from that one missionary. I have five tabs open in Chrome, and although I know there's nothing new on Facebook or Gmail, sometimes I take a quick glance anyway. NOT multitasking is clearly something I need to work on. 


Does this kind of stuff stress out anyone else like it stresses me out?? Yes, yes it does. I know it does. Dave Crenshaw knows it too. For one of my classes this week, we're going to a speech conference something-or-other where he will be speaking, so I looked him up and came across this gem:

(If you can't watch it all, just watch the last 5 minutes or so.)


Multitasking may stress you out and decrease productivity, but more importantly, it also makes those around you feel insignificant. Think about it: if you are conversing a friend and reading a cereal box at the same time, are you really listening to your friend? Probably not. I  knew a girl who decided to walk out of any conversation where the other person took out their phone for a quick text or other distraction. She reported that nobody she ever walked away from mid-conversation ever found her later to finish what either she or they had been saying, and some people thought her very rude. That is so truly, terribly ridiculous! (And I'm sure a lot of us do this. I know I do.) How can we so easily put a task above a person? I think this speaks volumes about our society.


This is one area I really need to work on, starting now. I will be more invested in my little sister's math homework. I will not check Instagram in the middle of conversations. I will dedicate my attention when working on my own studies. I will pay attention to humans!




This is one of my favorite quotes:

"Never let a problem to be solved become more important than a person to be loved."
--President Thomas S. Monson--

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment