1.27.2013

Quote for 27 January 2013


“Learn to hold loosely all that is not 
eternal.”

- A.M. Royden 


I'm loving this one today for a couple reasons. First is because I've been feeling a little materialistic lately (true story). I got some dang cute stuff for my birthday and I'm very grateful for it, but I just need to remind myself that clothes aren't everything and neither are comparisons. Could I give all of that up for something of eternal significance? I need to increase my willingness to sacrifice my possessions and my pride for a greater end.

My other reason for loving this is because I'm realizing that the unstated side of this quote is equally important: hold dearly all that is eternal. I believe that, when we die, we take with us our knowledge and our relationships, and that's just about it. Therefore, my life should be one continuous search for things to think and people to love. Education of my mind and of my heart is what matters. Relationships with people matter. Relationships with my family matter most. Families are the most eternal of eternal things, and I need to remember to hold them dearly.

I like this quote.

1 comment: