11.07.2014

Stuff I learn 7

:: In my finance class, I feel like much of what I learn is pretty common sensical (is that a word?). However, whoever wrote the textbook has a talent for simplifying financial principles down to good one-liners. Some from lately: 

"Developing patience is a lot more valuable than paying interest." Do you need that thing right now? Are you willing to pay substantially more for it to afford yourself that luxury?

"HALT: Do not make major purchases if you are Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired." I knew this was true in grocery shopping, so it makes sense to extend it to major purchases. But I also just like using this acronym when I catch myself feeling frumpy. Am I hungry, angry, (hangry), lonely, or tired? Can I snap out of this?

"Spending less is a road that is always available." Good to remember when I want to start complaining about being a poor starving student. Even though I do feel like we live preeeetty cheaply...


:: Background story for this one: My family went to Mexico a few years ago. After one of our dinners, the waiter brought out brownies with nuts on top for dessert. Since my sister Mattea and I both have nut allergies to some nuts but not others, we asked him if he could find out what kind of nuts were on top. He came back and told us they were "just regular nuts." We had a good laugh about that because what even does that mean?? 


Fast forward now to last week, when Joseph told me that the Spanish word for "nuts" is the same as the Spanish word for "walnuts." So in Spanish, walnuts are literally just "regular nuts" because they are not peanuts, or pistachios, or macadamia nuts, all of which do have their own names. And since walnuts are regular nuts, they don't have a direct English translation other than "nuts." Cool, huh? In any case, it was good that we didn't eat those brownies.
This is me, not eating that brownie. I was like, "I should put a Cancun pic here!" and so I found this.


:: Elections. I learned some stuff about some candidates so I could vote. It's probably boring to anyone who doesn't live where I do (oh wait, I'm the only person who gets easily bored by politics), so just know that I learned it and enjoy this toothy picture proving it:




Happy Friday, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Oh you are not the only one who gets bored quickly by politics. It puts me to sleep just about anytime it comes up!

    ReplyDelete