2.14.2012

Love

I didn't expect to give much thought to Valentine's Day this year. 
It's never been one that I celebrated much. 
Not because I didn't have someone to celebrate with.
Not because I don't do "mushy."

And definitely not because I hate it.
Just because I've been waiting.
Goodness knows what I'm even waiting for...


But then I did get to thinking. 


I remember a Valentine's Day in 6th grade when I thought maybe I should like a boy. Any boy.
Then I had to stay home from school that day because I was sick. 
I thought that was the tragedy of the century.
Honestly, though, no great loss.


I remember a Valentine's Day in high school when all I wanted was one of those nasty suckers that NHS delivers.
Good news: I got one.
But I bought it for myself, so that's totes lame.


And I remember a Valentine's Day which wasn't actually celebrated on Feb 14. 
But it was the best one of all. 
I've thought about it a lot in the last year, actually. 
Because on that particular date night, we wanted to see a good movie, but nothing stellar was at the cheap theater.
Or so we thought. 
I was talking to Gram a few days prior. It was one of the last full conversations I remember having with her and no one else. Just me and Grammie and some advice for life.
I didn't expect that at the time, or I would have written down every word.
She recommended Secretariat, a horse movie. A long horse movie.
I've never liked animals, and I've never liked long movies. 
But she insisted it was a really, really good one. Almost begged me to watch it.
And so we did, and it truly was stellar.
And the next day, I told her how much we'd loved it.
And one week later, I realized I'd practically fulfilled a minor sort of dying wish.


And Secretariat is one of my favorite movies.


Today I do miss that one missionary, but I also miss my lovely Grammie. 
I apologize for being a little somber on everyone's favorite holiday. 
I do not mean to bash on Valentine's Day, and I hope nobody sees it as that.
It's just what I've been thinking about tonight. 
Reminiscing is good.


Love truly is a powerful thing. 
I think I shall start celebrating it for real now.



2 comments: