2.29.2012

Education for life, right here



Stuff I've learned from my Math 313 course: 


1) "Are we happy?" actually means, "Do you kind of understand, even just a little bit?" And any answer in the affirmative will ensure that the lesson continues at breakneck pace.


2) Even math teachers hate fractions. We religiously celebrate No Fraction Friday, and it's my favorite part of class. Professor has abruptly given up on matrices in the past because fractions were necessary to solve, but it was a Friday. I am seriously contemplating using this in my own classroom someday.


3) Every upper level math course will have a few goobers, but their comments are far more entertaining than anything you'll ever say, so just let em have at it.


4) Praying before, during, and after a test is a healthy activity. Today I swear I had no clue what I was doing or why it was working, but I might have scraped an A on material I maybe knew at C level. No joke. That is what we call a tender mercy.


5) Notebook paper real estate is valuable stuff, and unless you learn to maximize it, those darn matrices will take over your entire 5-subject notebook. 
How all the great mathematicians finish their proofs

Oh, and I suppose I've learned some stuff about linear algebra, but it's all pretty much secondary to these real life lessons. 
Welcome, folks, to Math 313. 'Tis a partay.

No comments:

Post a Comment