4.16.2012

Last one of these

Some final events from the recent past, just to wrap up the catch up:


1) I celebrated Easter with my fam and that one missionary's fam. Older brother (whose name is Brigham and will hereby be referred to as such) spoke in church and did a wonderful job. So we met and it was a lovely Sunday and I don't even think I was awkward[!!] (as I am prone to be). Quick secret: I thought the two brothers would be polar opposites. They're much more similar than I was expecting. How did I not see that coming? Anyway, pictures:
(Sadly, none from Sunday. Those are from the Saturday before.)

2) I had an allergic reaction to something that I'm fairly certain I'm not allergic to. At least, I'm fairly certain that normal BBQ chicken wraps don't have any cashews or pistachios?? Maybe that's too strong of an assumption. It was rough, though, and I now know what anaphylactic shock might feel like. I spent a Friday night not quite sleeping on the couch and then I was all better on Saturday. Whatever. My life is so hard.

3) I turned in an application to be a Y Group leader at next year's start-of-year freshmen activities. I don't know why, but I am so drawn to these things even though I don't really suspect I'll be good at being peppy in the hot sun for a week straight. But I do know campus pretty well, and I do love BYU enough to get downright excited about the Honor Code and stuff, so it should be good. Also, Madi's doing it with me, which means it will be a blast.

4) FINALS. So far, pretty easy. I've taken three and I have two left and honestly if I could relive this easy semester every year for the rest of college, I would never say a word of complaint about school, ever. 

5) I finally decided for real that I will take spring classes and not summer. As of next Tuesday I will have one (1) ASL course and one (1) public speaking course. ASL because it's interesting and Shaundra has inspired me. Public speaking because I'm going to be a teacher, for crying out loud, but really because a teacher I admired mucho in high school told me that if I really planned on being a great teacher (not one of those mediocre ones), I should take beginning level acting courses in college, and I believed him. Seven (7) credits of pure electives, woot. 

Side note: one time that one missionary was writing with numbers in a letter to me and he did that parentheses thing and it tickled my funny bone so sometimes I do it in my head and now I did it in public. 

Ok I have definitely rambled long enough now, and I think everyone's up to speed, at least on the things that I wanted to bother recording, and since you're maybe bored with this post, here's another picture: 
We learned about Ernst Haeckel last semester in biology. He said, "ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny," which, translated, means that as you grow in the womb you pass through phases of everything humans evolved from as you go. So yes, you're human, but if you'd been born super early, you might have been hog. Something like that. (He was wrong, by the way. That is not any part of accepted evolutionary theory.) But what I took away from the lecture was this picture because how can you not love that tortoise?? Sure, the rest is a little grotesque, but that tortoise makes this page a bookmark in my browser. You're welcome.

2 comments:

  1. Hehe it looks like the little guy from Finding Nemo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. woo! i'm seriously so stocked that you're taking asl :) hope you have a blast!

    ReplyDelete