9.05.2012

Fall 2012 semester run-down

When I started college, I told myself I'd take one class each semester that was not required for my major. 
And then Fall 2012 came along. 
Poop.

But the good news is that I still do like my classes even though they are nothing out of the ordinary. I still can't let go of my original idea, so I'm claiming that one of my easy Spring term classes will count for the credits I would have used here. Does that even make sense? No, no it doesn't. Oh well.


Anyways. Here are all my pre-judgments for my classes (so that I can read this after the semester ends and realize how wrong I was):

Abstract Algebra :: This class scares the living daylights right outta me. First-year professor? Lovely. Another semester of proofs? Bring it on. Rings and groups? I have no clue what those are, but apparently I'll be able to tell you sometime next week. This will definitely be my most difficult class; I'm sure of it. YIKES.

Multi-Variable Calculus :: So far, not too bad! But also so far we haven't learned anything I didn't already know from 313 (Linear Algebra), so...we'll see. I do know that I love love love the professor already (but probably not as much as Emma), and homework for this class has yet to take me longer than 30 minutes each time. Please let this continue for the whole semester.

Stats for Ed :: Ok, didn't I take this course in high school? Based on the first two class sessions, I did indeed. Seriously, NOTHING IS NEW. Welcome back to AP stats, Lys. Feel free to sit back, relax, and enjoy the show. Thank you, I think I'll do just that.

New Testament :: Stanley is hilarious, or so I've heard, and I like the way he runs class time. I honestly wouldn't mind more papers to write and deeper levels of analysis, but I probably should watch what I wish for, so pretend I never said that. I've no doubt that I'll leave the class knowing more about the NT than I currently do, but maybe I shouldn't have given up on that really tough teacher in the first week...

Exploration of Math Teaching :: AKA "going to schools and observing teachers and reading some stuff sometimes" AKA "probably really easy across the board." This is my only class with any threat of having to write papers, and they're easy papers, so that's nice for someone who never loved English. Also, this class gives me a handy break in my schedule wherein I can visit with Shaundra, which I am looking forward to.


I've been scared for this semester ever since I set up my classes because it just sounded like all math, all the time. It is a lot of math, but I love math! If I can survive that scary algebra, I think the rest will be just fine. I finish my homework before I come home almost every day, which means evenings are all mine. Today I started learning a new Beethoven piece and tomorrow I'm going to stop at the farmers' market at the stadium. So much free time, so little to do! (For now at least.) OH! And I forgot to mention that I'm in Women's Chorus again, and I love my new folder partner, so that's excellent news. 

Life is oh so good. Here's to a great new semester.

I like this picture more for its visual appeal than anything, but the quote fits so there you have it.

[picture via]

1 comment:

  1. SEEEEE!!!!! Who are you?! Why can't I be good at math! I'm sure your teacher isn't QUITE as handsome as mine. ;) Thanks for the shout out! Miss you. Sounds like you'll be having an awesome semester! :)

    ReplyDelete