11.24.2012

I think this is a rant.

I would like to thank whoever taught me that all information is as applicable to me as I let it be. 

There's a considerable amount of angst inside many students from my major because we spend lots of time discussing the same tips for how to teach over and over and over, and hardly any time at all constructing lesson plans and actually practicing teaching. I sometimes find myself caught up in that same angst when a lecture feels redundant (often) or when the homework load is a little too heavy (daily) or even just when I want to be in a bad mood over something (pretty rare, thank goodness). But I feel like I've always been taught that how much and how well I learn depends on me and [often] me alone. If some course or some teacher is awful, I spend a little extra time with my textbook and Google, and I figure it out anyway. I like to think that I don't waste too much time complaining about the course or the teacher (but I suppose my mom might say otherwise). 

I like to think that there's something to be learned in every textbook and every lecture and every conversation and every experience, and you just have to look until you find it, even if it takes until the bitter end to find. Maybe this is idealistic. Maybe this is truth. Maybe it makes life easier either way because then every glass looks at least half full (but usually more than half). 

If everything you see/hear/do has at least one purpose [to learn], then you're never wasting your time. 
Tell me that's not satisfying. 

A great professor can facilitate great learning, but an awful professor is no excuse for a student's failure to learn. 

These are sweeping generalizations, but there's a lot of truth to the idea, no?



Why don't the people in my classes know this??



So anyways, many thanks to my parents and some really great teachers in my past, for showing me that I can always find something to take away from every circumstance, lesson, and homework assignment if I just choose to find it on my own. 

2 comments:

  1. It's a gift of yours, really. And I'm super proud of you for "going forth to learn."

    ReplyDelete