7.08.2014

Independence

We done did celebrate that Independence Day holiday this weekend.

Friday began bright and early with my trooper of a husband and some happy little (big) balloons. I didn't appreciate these in my younger years, and for the last couple years where I have finally looked forward to them, nasty weather has grounded them. So this year was perfect and all my dreams came true and we stayed to watch some of the games they play after all the balloons lift off and I LOVED IT. 
This is a picture of Smokey the Bear because his nose made me laugh out loud as I looked through my pics:
We then headed to the parade route, planning to sit and watch for a good while. However, we were at the very end of the route this year, and I felt like I could just see the exhaustion on those parade marchers' faces. They are troopers! But I of course got distracted playing with baby Ensley because how can you say no to this face?
Anyway, we ended up leaving after about half of the parade because it was getting hot and our power had gone out in the wee hours of the morning, which meant our AC unit was not cooling things down back at our house. But the best news of the day was that our landlords arrived home at the same time we did, and the issue was resolved before the real afternoon heat set in. Victory! We enjoyed our cooled house by taking a nice two-hour nap after lunch. Double victory.

When I woke up from napping, I concocted a patriotic blueberry dessert which may be featured in greater detail someday on this blog, but for now I'll just share a pic:
Om nom nom nom. Now I want more of that stuff. 

Anyway, for our evening celebrations, we headed to a family BBQ in Mapleton. It mostly involved getting corn stuck in our teeth and eating far too many desserts, which means it was a success. Pictures to prove it:

This is Joseph picking cherries for me. He does not love cherries but he does love me and apparently that is enough to get him up in a tree. (Accidental rhyme.)
A niece and a neph. As Grandpa so eloquently stated, "A toy just isn't fun unless at least two kids want it."
Haircut time. Joe's dad cuts pretty much everyone's hair and I love it because a) we never have to pay for Joseph to get a hair cut ever again, and b) it is legit bonding time.
A very serious conversation, apparently. But look at how lovely and tranquil this backyard is! It is one of the best BBQ spots in the state, I do believe.

As our day drew to a close, we opted out of fireworks because we wanted to opt out of traffic. But as we lay in bed nearing sleep, some neighbors were setting off fireworks outside our window, and Joseph said to me, "Look at that! You can see all the colors on our ceiling!" And it warmed my little heart. I dunno why that was much more romantic than my usual dream of a blanket on the grass outside of Stadium of Fire, but it just was. I love that husband.

This Independence Day served as a good reminder that we are blessed in many ways. I'm so thankful for the freedoms I enjoy as a result of living where I do, and I'm thankful we are surrounded by family for these holiday celebrations. Freedom and family--this must be what Independence Day is all about, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment