2.12.2013

Do what you love

I wrote this, like, a week and a half ago and but took forever to upload the video to YouTube, so now I'm finally posting:



This semester has been a crazy one so far, but not because of school work. I am feeling overwhelmed by other demands on my time and thoughts and energy, and frankly my school work has been secondary to, well, lots of stuff, so clearly, that part really is hardly stressful at all. It would be way easier if school was the greatest of my worries.

Few of the things which are weighing on me are quickly remedied or easily fixed, so I am rapidly adapting to carrying most of them with me most of the time. Which is fine, really. I'm really doing pretty durn good, ladies and gents, and I'm not here to complain.

But today I needed a respite from it all and I didn't quite know how to find that. 

Fortunately, I had a scheduled rehearsal with a girl from my ward to practice for a musical number on Sunday. While I was accompanying her for our one run-through, something in me remembered my years and years of long daily piano practice and suddenly that was all I wanted to do. 

So today I got me some free therapy from Mendelssohn and Rachmaninoff. That Rachmaninoff bout was especially nice because it required both ultimate control and a full release of energy at different points in the piece. And on the Mendelssohn I just let my fingers fly. Nothing in the world could have felt better at that time than sitting at my piano with pieces I know and love and a solid routine for getting through them.

It was so therapeutic, I think I might make myself practice every day for a bit. 

(Update from today when I actually post this: I've been practicing a boatload since then. No joke.)




This is a video from my glory days:



Don't feel like you have to watch the whole thing. It's long and not awesome quality. But I wanted it here for me, so...there you have it. 

Anyway, the moral of the story is: DO WHAT YOU LOVE, and do it often.


3 comments:

  1. Well, that was a treat! Wish we had better video, but really I'm just glad that you can go to your happy place when you need a little therapy. Way to work it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your performance. by Rena
    We enjoyed the whole video!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rena! And thanks for watching the whole thing!

      Delete