1.15.2014

Apartment quirks

Our apartment is a little quirky. We love it, but it's a little quirky.

:: It slants ever so slightly toward its southwest corner. I thought I was imagining this until Jenna came over and commented that she thought our house was tilted. And then the effects of "a guest agrees so it must be true" wore off and I thought I was imagining it again. Yesterday I tested it by putting a pen on the kitchen table and watching where it rolled. I tried all the cardinal directions, and I now have a working proof that our house slants. Cool. (But don't worry, you can still come visit without getting dizzy or anything.)

:: Everything in our apartment is SO HOT ALWAYS. By which I mean that our radiator and hot water work better than great. We literally keep at least one window open at all times and have since we moved in. Please take a moment to realize that the time we have lived there includes only the coldest months of the year (!!). But we love the warmth and now whenever we visit our parents houses' in Orem, I feel bad for them because clearly their heaters are all broken. I'm going to miss radiator heat whenever we move on. 

:: I'm giving the hot water its own bullet point. Our water gets SO HOT ALWAYS. Like I've never showered in hotter water than I do these days because as soon as you go slightly over to the warm side of the dial, it's like Mordor. (Did I use that correctly? I just saw it on the interwebs once as a joke, I've never seen LOTR  I've only ever seen one half of The Hobbit #1.) Also, our kitchen sink faucet goes the opposite way that faucets are supposed to go. So when you turn it to the cold side, you get warm (HOT) water and when you turn it to the warm side, you get cold (just normal cold) water. This has messed up the way I use every faucet in the whole world. On Sunday (while we were visiting family up north), I accidentally got Joseph and me two drinks of warm water. Twice.

:: No disposal. Not a quirk, but definitely something we've had to learn to live without. Yum.

:: There's this little tiny decorative built-in shelving thing in the kitchen. I will have to provide a picture so you know what I'm talking about:
Supposedly it would have originally been a window to the living room (but they walled it) and also a spot for an old school telephone?? I dunno, that's just what people have told me. I have big dreams of filling it with [small] seasonal decorations, but for now we just have the adorable apron I got from a bridal shower hanging in front of it. Joseph's idea. 

:: We have no doors. Well, we have a front door and a bathroom door, but everything else (pantry, bedroom, closet) is supposed to just be curtained off. Since we didn't particularly want to register for a bedroom curtain (yeah, weird), we have just left everything without doors. There's really no way for guests to see anywhere we wouldn't want them to even without curtains--we keep our pantry organized enough for company and our room isn't visible from the main areas--so it's not a problem. 

:: I would love to have more places to store things, but we just haven't gotten around to tackling that issue yet. So to resolve the problem, we are using the two camping coolers we got for our wedding as cubbies! We refer to them lovingly as "the game cooler" and "the music cooler" because one holds all our board and card games and the other holds all our music books. We can thank Joseph's ingenuity for this. 

:: I was going to put that we also have an abnormal number of creaky floor spots, but then I decided against it. But then I asked Joe if I should add anything else to this list and he said, "ALL THE CREAKS," or something similar. Apparently he believes that every single step you take in our house makes a creak. I have since tested this and...I think he might be right. So there you go. 

We love our home's little quirks. Drop by sometime and we'll show them off to you in person!


No comments:

Post a Comment