3.14.2013

What I thought about today.



I've been so gosh darn busy for the last couple weeks that I've gotten very wrapped up in my own world. It hasn't all been school work although that has been a sizable chunk of my self-absorbed-ness. Part of it has been the fact that I somehow got sick twice in the last month (I'm a baby when I'm sick). Another part of it has been that I'm trying to be better at setting goals and sticking with them, but lots of my little weekly goals require time alone--for example, play the piano at least 3 days this week, blog at least twice, scripture study for 30 min every day--and though they are good goals, they take me away from other people. 

So this week I added some different goals. I'm not sure they worked right off the bat but I'm sticking to them a little longer to see what'll happen. First off, social media and I are fighting. I believe in blogging, always, because it's a form of recording snippets of my life and I do it "for my posterity!" of course. But I have made a conscious effort to NOT stay caught up with Facebook and Instagram and Google Reader this week, just to see what extra time would land in my lap. Lo and behold, I had some extra time indeed. I read half a book and I played with my nephew and I went on a date! Another thing I tried out this week was to avoid doing homework in my room. This was partially for the well-being of my lower back (which has been complaining lately about how much I just sit on my bed), and partially to get out of the basement dungeon. I wasn't very good about this one this week, but it still sounds like a nice idea so I'll keep it around.

Anyway, I do feel like I spent more time with people this week, so that's good. And I also feel like I didn't only half-listen to people I talked to this week (which is, sadly, my norm), so that's really good. 

I'm just tired of running round and round from school to home to school to church to home to school without ever stopping to have meaningful interaction with other humans. I've always been pretty independent and I've always enjoyed spending time alone and I've always loved the idea of not needing other people. But that is selfish and I want to give it up. Having time to myself can be good, but right now, in this time of my life, I'd rather have that be the exception than the norm. There are so many cool people around me that I need to learn from right now.

That's all really. 
Thanks for listening.


1 comment:

  1. I like this...and share with me what you learn from all those cool people you're going to talk to. Everyone can use a good dose of good advice now and then.

    ReplyDelete