10.28.2012

In which math doesn't matter for once

Tonight I had the opportunity to share a thought at ward prayer. It's something I've been really trying to focus on improving lately. 

President Uchtdorf spoke in the most recent General Conference about regrets and resolutions. He said, 

Isn't it true that we often get so busy? And, sad to say, we even wear our busyness as a badge of honor, as though being busy, by itself, was a sign of a superior life. 
Is it?

This semester has been, quite frankly, ridiculously hard and insanely busy. In the last few weeks, I haven't fully understood a single one of my math assignments or lectures. That means 6 credit hours are slowly slipping down the drain, dragging my GPA with them, and it's stressful! Sometimes (all the time), I feel like the only way I'll survive is if I leave all the other things I care about behind for a couple months until I can just finish these two classes. Wouldn't that be a great solution?

But the kicker is this: that sort of busyness doesn't end, like, ever. When I finish these two classes, I'll have two more after that. And then I'll have more difficult major classes (project-based, ew). And then I'll be getting married or something. And then I'll graduate and think I'm free, but no, I have to go to work. And then children come and life really kicks into gear, and then where did my young and free and easy days go?

Yikes, life sounds rather daunting when you put it that way. I don't particularly care to stick around to see the ending of that. [Edit: that was not suicidal. Calm down.]

Since all that busyness never ends, we must each find ways to work around it. Rather than being a badge of honor, that inability to focus on things of greatest importance is a major downer on life in general. There's gotta be a way to avoid that negative cycle where all the things that don't matter much in the end take up all the time that could have been spent with things that matter eternally. And this is why I love Pres. Uchtdorf's talk. He lays it out nice and easy for us:

Let us resolve to cherish those we love by spend meaningful time with them, doing things together, and cultivating treasured memories.  
Discipleship is the pursuit of holiness and happiness. It is the path to our best and happiest self. Let us resolve to follow the Savior and work with diligence to become the person we were designed to become. 
Let us resolve to be happy, regardless of our circumstances.

So here I resolve on my blog yet another resolution: I resolve to refuse to let the busyness of everyday life take away at all from the joys that can be found in spending time with those I love and spending effort becoming more like my Savior. These are the things that matter most. These are the things that will keep me happy and able to press onward, yea, even to the end of Abstract Algebra. And ultimately, these are the things that will determine the value and weight of my life whenever I reach the end of it. 

(You're welcome to join me if you wish, as always. I am, apparently, all about making sweeping resolutions and dragging people with me, so I'd love to have you along.)


6 comments:

  1. I feel the same. Sometimes I wish I had time for things I don't have time for: manicures, keeping a pristine apartment, doctor's appointments, a work-out routine. I have no intention, however, of giving up the things that take up a lot of my time: Church services, the committees I'm on, Sundays with family, taking time to watch my Niners and my GIANTS WIN THE WORLD SERIES (because that just happened). I don't want to give up seeing my friends every couple of weeks or going out to dinner with Caleb once a month or so. Then I think, How do people have kids? I feel like I don't even have time to do the things I want to do NOW, but then I think, Well, most people have kids... and they make it happen. I will, too. It's what I tell myself about childbirth, too. People do it all the time. You'll be able to. We'll probably fall short of Jesus' life, but always striving for it will make us strong and kind and give us better, more meaningful lives.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First, congrats on the win for the Giants. Second, I agree that childbirth is a scary prospect. Third, I liked your comment, and I'm glad you addressed all the things that we each want to get to but never find time for because I have a ton of those as well, forever making me feel busy just by sitting on the back burner. Good reminder to let some of those go.

      :)

      Delete
  2. drag me with you because this is definitely something that i struggle with. and sad as it is, i often worry about being busy so much that i don't actually get anything done. so thank you for this reminder that being busy isn't really something to be proud of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh heavens yes, I hate that feeling of I-have-so-dang-much-to-do-where-do-I-start-I'll-start-nowhere-and-maybe-it'll-work. Did you love that thought in WC today about deciding a purpose for each hour?? Oh my, that changed my life. It applies here, I promise.

      Delete
  3. This was such a memorable address, and I'm so grateful for it. Put it together with Holland's Good, Better, Best hallmark address, and we have ourselves a recipe for success. Busy can be such a drag sometimes, unavoidable sometimes, happy sometimes...whatever, busy can be lots of things. But, hopefully, we can in all our doing...choose the better part. I appreciated your reflections on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Madre. You're a great example of choosing the better [yea, even best] part. Thanks for everything you do for us kids. You da best.

      Delete