5.27.2013

I now know how to spell boutonniere*

We learned how to make boutonnieres in floral design last week! I wasn't a fan of the colors I landed for my little boutonniere kit (I...dislike...purple in general), but I did like the way my finished products turned out.
The first one is just a basic rose boutonniere: rose, baby's breath, fern. Wire the rose, add the pretty background stuff, stick it all together with floral tape, boom.

The middle one adds a nestled flower (we called it Cyclops) and uses: sweetheart rose, carnation, waxflower, salal leaf. Wire rose, poke through carnation, add background stuff, stick it all together. I don't love the look of this one, but the waxflowers worked rather nicely with me, and they're my favorite, so I suppose we got along fine in the end. 

The last one is called a wildflower bouquet and would probably be my favorite for events in my foreseeable future (ahem, hipster wedding?). It's just: waxflower, purple aster. This seriously just involved getting all the stems in the same place and wrapping a bunch of gold wire around them. It's daintier than the others, which I like, and this type of boutonniere lends itself to more variety, which I also like. I think it could also be cheaper? Maybe I made that up. In any case, this one was my fave by far.


I was very very happy to learn a skill such as this. I of course need more practice with them, but I think my children will probably never have to buy prom flowers, so #winning.


I love flowers.




*Because I didn't know how to spell boutonniere when I started writing this post.

2 comments:

  1. and if we live near each other MY children will never have to buy prom flowers. Joke. Kinda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What the cyclops? That is a magnificent creature. I've never seen anything like it.

    ReplyDelete