5.20.2013

Testing, testing, 1-2-3, is this thing on?

I would like to document a little piece of my life.
This is how I study for tests.

:: I get a blank piece of paper and fold it in half. I can only study off of something I can hold in my hand without it flopping around, so I go with hamburger-style every time, of course. 

:: I start at the very beginning of whatever I'm supposed to have learned and start writing down anything I don't remember. In my 341 class, this meant entire proofs and formulas; in floral design, on the other hand, this means "roses&carns=bunches of 25." I do not write down answers I already know, but I do write down anything I'm even a little shaky on because I know for a fact that writing stuff by hand greatly helps my memory.

:: I usually write these self-made study guides in small handwriting. Don't ask why because I couldn't tell you; usually my handwriting is considerably larger and messier. Although now that I think about it...one time I mentioned the small handwriting thing to somebody and they said, "Well yeah, that's because writing tiny helps you remember stuff! The tinier the writing, the better the memory." And they were completely serious, but they were also a little crazy, so there you have it.

:: I always use pen for my study guides. ALWAYS. Then there is no risk of that obnoxious thing that happens when you use a pencil and then the paper gets smeared, you know what I'm talking about? And so then I can definitely use my lovely study tool again later when finals roll around.

:: And I draw plenty of pictures/diagrams and use plenty of abbrevs. These usually wouldn't make sense to anyone else in the world, which I think makes them even more helpful? I dunno.

:: Units must have dividers. Either I draw a nice straight line or I get a new piece of paper (rare) or I use a new pen color, but there must be a difference from unit to unit. 

:: My bullet points are [almost] always just dashes so that when I have everything written and am just reviewing, I can cross the dash once I've got it down. So as I relearn stuff and move it from the category of "needs written down" to "nailed it" the little mark switches from - to +. Because I'm adding it to my brain. Get it? Get it??

:: More often than not, as soon as I finish going through all the material, the actual writing has helped me relearn most stuff, so then I almost always go straight to cramming mode. And by cramming I don't mean last-minute frantic sort of studying, but just studying in a way that will most likely only help me remember for this particular test (...but maybe not beyond). 

:: Anything that I can't find a good mnemonic for, I highlight. Then I do the last-minute frantic thing with these highlighted things while I hold my study guide and walk to the testing center. 



And that's how I study for tests. 
Why am I sharing this? 
Because it works for me. 
Also because it's part of my identity, just a lil bit.
Also because today I saw my latest test score for my math class and it wasn't wonderful and I am attributing it to the fact that I decided not to study like this. But I will next time, mark my words...

But mostly because I should be making one of these study guides right now instead of blogging, duh. 


What are your testing techniques? Do you do anything specific for every test?

2 comments:

  1. Now why couldn't you have posted this oh, about 3 weeks ago when I wasn't DAYS from finals. Although I still might use that nifty trick as I walk to my finals as I study just a few minutes more.
    Also why hamburger? I would think folding hotdog was just as sufficient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, I am truly sorry for my awful timing! :( I like hamburger because it's somehow easier to hold if I have stuff in my other hand. Then again, maybe it's just tradition? Haha

      Delete