6.07.2011

Lucky

You should know that my father happens to be the luckiest man in the world. He probably brings home free stuff on a weekly basis, and I doubt he's ever paid for his own lunch at work. (Maybe I exaggerate a bit, but I'm much closer to accurate than you'd believe.) Part of his luck comes from the fact that he's a buyer for his company and therefore has many people sucking up to him regularly. The other part is the part that I'm convinced I've inherited. 


My first stroke of luck was when I was but a wee little lass (approx. 2 years old). According to my parents, I found a 4-leaf clover in some field. It's in my scrapbook. And according to Wikipedia: 


The four-leaf clover is an uncommon variation of the common, three-leaved clover. According to tradition, such leaves bring good luck to their finders, especially if found accidentally.[1] According to legend, each leaf represents something: the first is for faith, the second is for hope, the third is for love, and the fourth is for luck.[2] It has been estimated that there are approximately 10,000 three-leaf clovers for every four-leaf clover.[4]


So I'd say that sounds pretty lucky. It's also probably pure luck that I chose to pick that one and toddle it on back to madre y padre. 


Stroke two: my Barbie house. Dad entered me in a drawing at our local grocery store and forgot to tell me about it until they called and said I'd won a Big Wheels car. Because I don't have brothers, and cars are only rarely discussed around here, Dad made a simple request for "possibly a different prize...for a girl?" Lo and behold, I ended up with this beauty: 


The front door (with tacky pet rabbit sticker)

Three rooms, one half bath

Complete with Barbie aerobics videos!
Now skip forward a few years, and picture an online radio contest. I took a survey, more for the purpose of having a say in the music my station played than for the opportunity to win prizes, and then I won the prize! I'd calculate the odds for you, but I just finished my stats class so I'd rather not. But this contest got me some free tix to a concert by The Fray. Naturally, I had recently bought their album, so it was perfect. I bought a t-shirt since I didn't have to pay for tickets; proof below. 




Now cut to this past school year, in an assembly to award a free iPad. Although I can't claim I won this one, I went into the assembly expecting nothing and left with a free t-shirt and the claim of "second place." The process of elimination brought the potential winners down to me and some kid I'd never met, and although I was in the perfect position to win, he got it. :( I really didn't mind, but it did make me question my luck for a small time. 


And today, lovely readers, that doubt ended. After participating in an online Jumpstart session for BYU, we were encouraged to enter into a drawing for one free t-shirt. I thought I'd try it out, just for kicks, and today I received the email and the FB notification that I'd won! WAHOO!



Feels great to be lucky once again. :)

2 comments:

  1. Can I tell you how envious I am of your luck? Oh, wait, I just did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i want to take blogging lessons from you. how'd you do the cute little facebook status picture thing? can we have a blogging party? um, yes. we should. oh, and i'm also envious of your luck. wanna rub off on me?

    ReplyDelete