3.22.2012

Nine

Today is the 9-month mark. 
It's kind of a big deal.


When that one missionary received his mission call, he calculated the overlap he and his older brother would have. Older brother was already in Mexico, also serving a mission. There would be 9 months with both brothers in the field, in Mexico. Pretty cool, really. And he would tell people, "Well you see, it's like long enough to have a baby." 


I know that sounds weird, but he was in a human development class at the time. 
So, yeah.




Anyway, he left right at the beginning of summer. You know, that time of year when you have to search and search for things to fill your time? Maybe that's just me. But it amazed me how time seemed to drag. Seriously, two years seemed like an infinity. And nine months didn't seem much better, but it was a step along the way that I could look forward to. So I seized that, and thus began the unofficial waiting.


Yesterday, older brother came home. 
I haven't technically met this brother. He left just a couple weeks after the first date my missionary and I ever had, so we weren't quite to the "hang out at each others' houses and meet the family" stage just yet. 
But he's here. 


Which means that it's here: 9 months. Somebody probably had a baby today which they found out about at the time that one missionary was leaving. I used to think it was too long. Nine months without your best friend is long. But I have new friends, and old friends who have become closer friends, and my family. 


I've had a wonderful 9 months. He has, too.


I've had a successful year of school at BYU. I've become good friends with his family members. I've realized and re-realized just how much I admire that boy who's serving in Mexico. I've blogged and done puzzles and played with my nephew and learned complicated mathematical concepts. I can explain the invert and multiply rule for dividing fractions. I've served and been served. I've learned about personal revelation. I've figured out a little bit more of myself. 


He's had a successful time in Mexico. He's worked through difficult companions and friendly companions. He's grown so much in scripture study that he now enjoys giving talks. He's become a right little cook, and he even gets a cleaning bug every now and then. He's borne a strong and unwavering testimony of the goodness of this church and the mercy of Christ every week. He too has served and been served, and I'd bet he's learned a thing or two about revelation. He's learned much about himself. 


What an amazing transformation for both of us these 9 months have been. I can hardly wait to see the two of us after two years! The good news is this: I made it through that time that seemed so impossibly long. I reached that first unreachable goal! And now, I am feeling great. I still miss him, every day, lots, but I've come this far, and unless I get the word from above that things need to change, I can come this far again. 


9 months. Told you it was a big deal. 

6 comments:

  1. Hey there! I would love to stalk your blog, if you don't mind. I think you'll be surprised how fast the rest of the time passes. Those milestones are critical, and help time fly--hang in there!

    Also, I can't wait for you to meet Brig, he's a blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh please, stalk away! So glad to have you here.
      I think it'll fly as well. If I'm honest, it's flown more than I expected already.
      Haha you're not the only one who's said that about Brigham. I'm excited to meet him too :)

      Delete
  2. I love every single thing about this. So excited for you!! This was beautiful:) If you need things to help you stay busy this summer I'm always ready for anything! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Britt. You're great.
      Wahoo! Party, summer 2012. Be there or be square.

      Delete
  3. I love this so much. Congrats on making it 9 months!! we deserve a celebration. What's up Doc possibly?
    Beautifully written. congrats to you and congrats to him. And i agree with Britt- i'm all for staying busy this summer.
    love ya lots girl :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Shaundra, I am always up for a celebration, especially if it includes What's Up Doc!
      Thank you very much, party we shall, and love you too.

      Delete