5.21.2020

From the draft archives: Speedy snow cones

(Post written circa 2013, story happened....a year or two before that?)



I don't really have anything I came here to say, but I suppose I could tell you guys a story.

One time, my family and I went to get snow cones at the snow cone shack near Pizza Factory.
We didn't have Mariah or Mattea with us, and we felt bad going without them. 
So we bought two more snow cones as we left and thought it would be a good idea to just hold them in the car.
BAD, BAD IDEA.
They started spilling as we pulled out of the freaking parking lot. Like we hadn't even gone anywhere yet. 
So we pulled over to figure out a game plan...and came up with nothing.
(PS: I am laughing my head off while I type this and some girl is looking at me all funny because I am in a public place and this is like the funniest memory in my head, ever.)
So anyways, Jenna held one and I held one, and those things splooshed EVERYWHERE.
Every time we hit the smallest bump or took the slightest curve, they wanted to come out of the cup and into our laps. 
In a desperate attempt to save her purse and pants and other stuff, Jenna stuck Mariah's snow cone out her window and just held it there. 
And you wouldn't believe how entertaining it was to see that thing fly around out there.
Her spoon was, like, the first thing to go. It was gone the second we got up to 15 mph.
At 20 mph, we lost probably the top half of the cone, all at once.
At 25 mph, we were laughing so hard we couldn't breathe. The snow cone was sloughing off every second in chunks.
And meanwhile, I was still holding one inside the car. But laughing.
When we got back home, the snow cone Jenna had was--for all intents and purposes--entirely gone. Vanished! (LOLing again hahaha)
And the back of her side of the car was a rainbow mess. Like bird poop when you park under a tree, except...green and orange!
And her hand was stickier than it's probably ever been before or since.
But Mattea and Mariah shared the one I was holding, I think?

And thus we learned to NEVER transport a snow cone again.


2020 Alyssa here: this story still makes me giggle every time I remember it. Jenna is one of my favorite people to laugh with, always. Here's a pic of us in 2012 inside of a vehicle, which is about as close as we'll get to having a pic of the story above:

1 comment: