6.14.2014

Discover the Book

I discovered the Book of Mormon for the first time when I was eight years old. My "achievement days" leader hosted a Book of Mormon read-a-thon and then encouraged us to keep reading every day after that. I read two verses, marking them as I went, every night until I finished.

I re-discovered the Book of Mormon during the nearly church-wide speed-read of it during the last half of 2005. Remember President Hinckley's challenge? I was 12 years old then, and this was the first time I remember finally grasping the overall plot of the Book of Mormon. It was fun and exciting.

I re-re-discovered the Book of Mormon during my senior year of high school, when we were guaranteed an A grade in early morning seminary if we would read the entire book during the term. I read the Book of Mormon four times that year, not because I was desperate for an A in seminary, but because I was falling in love with its teachings and testimonies. This was the discovery of a lifetime for me, in many literal ways.

I have learned in my few adult years that I can re-discover the Book of Mormon every time I pick it up. I find new insights, new encouragement, and new hope every night when I read it. What a blessing it is to have scripture written specifically for us! I know that the Book of Mormon is true both historically and doctrinally, and I know that reading it has blessed my life on countless occasions. I say a big AMEN to President Hinckley's promise:

"Without reservation I promise you that if each of you will observe this simple program, regardless of how many times you previously may have read the Book of Mormon, there will come into your lives and into your homes an added measure of the Spirit of the Lord, a strengthened resolution to walk in obedience to His commandments, and a stronger testimony of the living reality of the Son of God."


Idea and prompt from this missionary Facebook group 

No comments:

Post a Comment