6.04.2014

We won the landlord lottery

Our apartment is one of six in a house that became apartments sometime between 1950 and 2013. Next door is a similar situation: used to be a house, but now is 6 apartments. In one of those apartments, you will find our landlords, Christina and Robert. They are good people.

We live in the house behind the tree. Our landlords live in that tan house on the left.

Christina places adorably colorful whiteboard messages in the community laundry room every month. When we first moved in, I was scared of South Provo a little bit, but her little message told us all to leave our porch lights on all night long. "Let's light this place up!" she wrote, and my heart was like, "Yes, please, let's. I don't want to die." Similarly positive and upbeat messages have gone up in the laundry room every month, and I love them.

In May, the whiteboard message told us all to check our apartments for anything broken, burnt out, leaking, growing, or otherwise undesirable and to holler for help. "We want to take care of you guys!" she wrote, and I was all, "You already do!" But we kinda needed new fire alarms and light bulbs, a fix for our shower drain (which would usually not, in fact, drain), and an AC unit, so I hollered. 

The day I sent Christina the email, she told me they were on it. The next day, they bought supplies. She asked me when they could come fix everything. I told them we'd be home all day, and within a few hours, everything was fixed! This is the advantage of having your landlords live next door and be awesome people. 

Other wonderful traits of our landlords: They give us a rockin deal on our rent and utilities (Not us specifically. I just mean that rent is a steal for what we get in return.). They plant great flowers and they don't mow the lawn at ridiculous hours. They are young married people like us, so they're real fun to chat with. Their laundry facilities require no quarters. They let us put whatever we want on the walls. They offer free treats to everyone sometimes for no reason. And they are constantly thinking of new projects to benefit their tenants. 

I am so glad that we don't have to live through landlord nightmares. Since Joe and I both lived at home until we moved to this apartment, I was pretty terrified of apartment living. My only experiences were vicarious and most of the people I know have had difficulty with maintenance issues in their apartments. We are so lucky (blessed) to have skipped the horror! 

I've said it before and I'll say it again: we won the landlord lottery. Wahoo!


No comments:

Post a Comment