7.14.2011

Sleepover!

Sadly, the first thing I think of when I say "sleepover" is this movie: 



Shout-out to my good friend Madi for introducing me to said movie. "He is so...plush!"


The second thing I think of, as of today, is my sleepover last night with my dear friend, Jen. 

Look! We match. (Picture taken earlier this year.)

This sleepover was a blast, but it was probably different than most people would think for a sleepover. Please enjoy this excerpt from an essay I wrote last year on "someone who inspires you." It briefly describes life with Jen: 

            At first glance, my best friend Jennifer seems very normal. She has blonde hair, wears glasses, and knows how to put together a cute outfit. She usually sports a baseball hat and always wears a watch, or two, or three, on each wrist. Odd? Maybe. Jennifer hates not knowing the time of day because she struggles with obsessive-compulsive tendencies, among other quirks. Her disability inhibits her speech although she can usually write clear messages. Devotedly, she carries pictures of all the people she loves most in a careworn stack of papers. She rapidly eats anything placed in front of her and craves even more. All of Jen’s differences are symptoms of Prader-Willi Syndrome (PWS), a handicap caused by a disorder of the fifteenth chromosome. Those who have PWS constantly feel hungry, often create and pick at skin sores, and usually can hardly abide changes in their daily routines. However, they are also some of the most loving people around, and I feel blessed to have Jen as my best friend and example. 

I loved spending so much time with Jen this week! Usually I tend her for just a couple hours one evening during the week while her parents have a night out, but this week was different due to extenuating circumstances. Activities in which we participated include (but are not limited to) hair curling, movie watching, Wheel of Fortune playing, and basketball. Jen rocks at basketball, and always makes more shots than I do :) 

And now, since I'm not attending the Harry Potter premiere like everyone else tonight, I'll go finish reading #6 and hope against hope that Dumbledore doesn't die. After all, he's the real reason I read these books.

1 comment:

  1. Yes yes yes yes yes!!!! Although I liked the rest of the post because it was all heartwarming and everything, I'm ecstatic that you included Sleepover!!!

    ReplyDelete