4.17.2014

Plants: Epipremnum

I actually call my Epipremnum by its common name of "pothos." 
I usually prefer to refer to plants by their genus, and I memorized plants this way all semester, but for some reason I could never remember this genus as well as I could remember its common name. Brains are weird.

This lil guy is SO EASY to pleasey. [Sorry, I just couldn't pass up that rhyme.] Sometimes I water him and sometimes I don't, and either way he just keeps growing. I took these pictures a few weeks ago, and while all my other plants look pretty much the same, this guy has since exploded. Wahooo!
This picture is not current, but it looks like a fuller pot from this angle, so you get the idea. Maybe? Anyway, pothos is really fun because it's viny and traily. Lots of people hang these because they'll just grow right over the sides of their container, so you can still see green even when it's above your head. Mine has reached a point now where his leaves look less isolated (as in these pictures) and more viny, and I'm loving it. 
I have two varieties in this pot, but one is very outnumbered. We were given four leaf starters when we potted these, and I happened to land three golden pothos and one marble queen (left and right, respectively). It sounded like a good idea at the time, but I'm not sure that I'll love that marble queen adding variety to my otherwise homogeneous pot. Luckily, this plant is so hardy that I can take a leaf from the marble queen later, pot it somewhere else, and it'll grow all over again on its own. 

Pothos lives with one other plant on the microwave, and since I had less of a photo shoot with that one, I'll save the location pic for later. 


If I had to choose favorites, this guy might would win. I mean, it's hard to really say. But maybe. 

1 comment:

  1. I have one of those! Tasha saved it from a TRASH CAN at campus floral. It sat unplanted in a cup of water for a good 2 days before I agreed to give him a home. That was almost 2 years ago. He's on top of the fridge now so I rarely remember to water him, but he's still growing strong. Tough things, pothos.

    ReplyDelete