8.29.2011

Because pearls and Silly Bandz were made for each other.


There are three important people featured secretly in this picture. Cuz I am all about symbolism. 


1) Pearl earrings=a beloved choir teacher from high school. I owe much to her. She once told our small choir that if we ever thought that nobody in the world would believe in us, she would be somewhere, believing in us. I've never forgotten that. It's a comforting thought even if I've never really felt deserted and hopeless, and I had that extra boost of "belief in me" from her today. 


2) Silly Bandz=that one missionary. I assure you I would never wear one of these dumb fad bracelets if it didn't have a purpose. This one was received at a benefit concert where he played guitar in a somewhat makeshift band. It's technically the only jewelry I have from him, so naturally, it comes out on special occasions. Also, he mentioned multiple times before leaving how he wished he could be with me for my first day at BYU; now it's as if he really was. :)


3) Pearl necklace and ring=Grammie. My grandparents both passed away within a month of each other at the beginning of this year. Although it was a difficult time for my family, we are beginning to see now that everything is as it should be. These pearls were my first choice in the dividing and claiming of her jewelry, and I wear them in hopes of someday achieving the same strong, positive spirit she had. 


I think it's interesting how these particular pieces of jewelry have become my secret support system. It's not like I couldn't have survived my first day at BYU without present family and friends providing ample support. I really wasn't very nervous or worried for today at all, but I was comforted in having these reminders of role models and friends on an important day for me. Silly Bandz and pearls will always go together swimmingly in my book. 

3 comments:

  1. I miss your grandparents. They were so sweet.
    I also have a necklace from my grandmother. She's passed away 8 years ago. Whenever I wear the necklace, I feel like she is with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So incredibly proud of you! And honored to be included on your first day. Reading this made my day. Thanks for the wonderful surprise! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of those posts that makes me tear up. I love you.

    ReplyDelete