8.04.2011

Please, hold your applause.

First off, I'm terribly sorry that the Wednesday Wordle didn't actually come on Wednesday. I sure tried, I assure you. By way of explanation: my computer had it's first ever crucial moment of difficulty and decided to freeze up for a few minutes at about 11:57. I did everything within my power to get that thing posted by midnight, but to no avail. Now I'm in the awkward situation of posting twice in one day. Apparently I fail at blogging. It's fine. 


Now that I've got that off my chest, let's talk about today. 


My friend, Madi, has this exchange student in town from EspaƱa. His name is Miguel. We took him to BYU today to introduce him to all things Mormon. I believe we sufficiently covered missions, EFY (complete with local examples!), and the idea of large families. That last topic comes with a story.


(Setting: BYU Creamery on Ninth. Note: Please read Miguel with a legit Spanish accent.)


Miguel: Alyssa, um, how many...brothers, sisters...you have?

Lys: I have 4 sisters, and no brothers. It's grand. 

Miguel: Wow!! No brother? 4 sister?? Wow...how does, um, your father...feel about that?

Lys: Well, he doesn't actually mind it at all. He probably never saw it coming, but he enjoys it. He's always said, "I'm swimmin' in women!"

Miguel: Huh? "Swimmin' in women?" Means...?

Lys: *charades* Swimming...in...women, you know, like lots of girls.

Miguel: Oh I get it. *laughs* Funny, funny...


A few minutes later, Miguel notices the group sitting in the next table: 2 boys, 6 girls. 


Miguel: Hey, Alyssa, look! Those 2...swimmin' in women!



I consider the fact that this phrase has become a permanent part of Miguel's English vocabulary my biggest accomplishment for today.

2 comments:

  1. HAHAHA! This made me laugh out loud! I will totally remember that- swimmin' in women! Love it! This Miguel kid sounds the sweetest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHAHAH! This is so awesome! I had to share this with my mom I was laughing so hard. It's awesome. Definitely gonna have to remember this one :D

    ReplyDelete