8.30.2011

Thoughts on a Tuesday evening

There's a certain charm in a bouquet of sunflowers given wrapped in newspaper. 




It's like real world meets fictional paradise. It seems as if this brand of interactions tends to result in a slightly dimmed paradise suddenly forced to submit to the uncompromising real world (I'm thinking Enchanted or Alice in Wonderland here). Ever noticed how imagination goes out the window as you grow up and enter the bill-paying, time-sucking society we live in today? What a crying shame. 


However, sunflowers in newspaper are different. Nothing about the sunflowers is dimmed by being wrapped in newspaper. In fact, they become ever brighter because of their seemingly dull companion. In this situation, real world somehow complements and enhances the beauty of organic perfection. It's the simplicity of it, I think. Big-city meets countryside. Mundane meets inspiring. Ordinary meets "simply extraordinary," said in a British accent.


Remember my dear friend Jen? Her parents and I are good friends because we usually talk for a while when they get home on the evenings I spend with Jen. They are quite possibly the cutest couple ever, and tonight when I arrived at their home I noticed two big bouquets of flowers: one on the table and another on the counter. It's probably a safe bet that they were both from him to her. Adorable under any circumstances. 


And the bouquet on the counter was sunflowers wrapped in newspaper. It's incredibly charming, is it not?


Thanks to that lovely display, I now have a new favorite flower (or rather, way to receive flowers). Consider them added to the ever-growing list of ways to win me over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment