8.16.2012

A true confession of my guilty obsession


Hello, my name is Alyssa, and I am a Jewel Quest addict.


Yikes, what an awful thing to admit.

When my grandparents passed away last year, we took into our care Grammie's old computer because it wasn't really that old and still had plenty of use in it. [Tangent: my dad kinda hoards computers. I can't remember a time when we didn't have more computers than people in this house. We did not need another computer, but we also couldn't say no, apparently. Not that I'm blaming anyone for my addiction or anything ridiculous like that. End of tangent.]

It sat unused for a long time due to the craziness of the era. When we finally started using it, we discovered Jewel Quest and Jewel Quest 2 pre-loaded and ready to play! Turns out she, too, was a Jewel Quest addict. Who knew? 

[Ok, we all did. But that's beside the point.]

On one exceptionally boring day, I started my own username and played a few levels. (Ugh, I'm talking about usernames and levels.) And then I kinda just kept going anytime I got bored. It's not like things ever got out of hand and I procrastinated homework or anything like that...right? Right! It was never a problem. Never ever.


Not even 180 levels later.

Oh gross. 
Yes, I played that much Jewel Quest.
The good news is this: it took me all summer! So I definitely wasn't spending all of my time on all of my days at it. 
The bad news is this: that doesn't include Jewel Quest 2.

I've toyed with the idea of moving on to the second game, but I probably won't. This first round has been the best of two worlds: 1=listening to music is one of my favorite activities, but I have to have another activity to pair with it or I get bored, and 2=when I know I'm stuck at the computer, I can listen to new music without buying it via sites like Grooveshark and YouTube. To others, it looks like I'm wasting time, but really it's the ultimate de-stresser for me to have music and a puzzle of some sort. I could do stuff like this all the time and never get tired of it (hence my love for jigsaw puzzles, sudoku, etc.). However, looking to the future, I think this will be a terrible time sucker when I have other, more important things to do.

Anyway, today was a victorious day for me because it marked the end of my quest. So let's celebrate.
See? Do you see all that victory?? I know it says "Play next level?" at the bottom but what it really means to say is "YOU WON EVERYTHING. Now go get a real life." Please note how that lovely X in the top right corner is all filled in, and how the final rank, Researcher, is highlighted. Word. Also, please feel free to read the cheesy journal entry quote in blue; the whole game is very themed and, um, it's an interesting story line.
That's right: "The End." And I am seriously, honestly, not-even-kidding-you-right-now, dang PROUD. My secret summer goal is complete, and I can now bid farewell to the game that has occupied my thoughts in these recent months. 


Adios, Jewel Quest. 
It's been real, it's been fun. 
It's been real fun. 
But please, never come back.
Sincerely, 
your addict, 
Lys.


3 comments:

  1. LOVE THIS! Haha. You're my favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I remember Grammie playing it while I was there to visit and how addicted she was. I think it's just one of those addicting games

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right?? It's very tempting in a wily sort of way.

      Delete