8.05.2012

In which we discuss gifts



Today I gave my first lesson in Relief Society. (ACK! It was kind of scary, but not a lot, but enough for me to mention it apparently.) Thanks to lots of comments from lots of amazing women, it went quite well. Actually, I'd say it went better than quite well...probably like it went great.


Anyway, since it was the presidency lesson, I had the opportunity to choose the topic. After days of thinking and praying and studying, I had an epiphany of Olympic proportions. Ok, I don't know if the Olympics can actually define a proportion, but it was clever phrase because I incorporated them in the lesson! We talked about gifts of the Spirit. Everyone is given a gift, and everyone has the responsibility to develop and share that gift (and to continue with more gifts as they come). In addition, we each need to develop the gifts of faith, hope, and charity, regardless of other gifts we may have or want. And eventually we can all become gold medalists for God. That was the basic gist of it (much over-simplified, mind you).


But what I really would like to share is a talk I studied while determining the topic and planning this lesson. "There Are Many Gifts," by Marvin J. Ashton, is worth a read for anyone who may not feel they are gifted, or for anyone who would like to develop more gifts, or for anyone who would like assistance in seeing the gifts of others, or for anyone. I used a couple of quotes from this talk, so in case you don't have time for the whole thing, you can at least see what I took from it:


"Let me mention a few gifts that are not always evident or noteworthy but that are very important. Among these may be your gifts—gifts not so evident but nevertheless real and valuable: the gift of asking; the gift of listening; the gift of hearing and using a still, small voice; the gift of being able to weep; the gift of avoiding contention; the gift of being agreeable; the gift of avoiding vain repetition; the gift of seeking that which is righteous; the gift of not passing judgment; the gift of looking to God for guidance; the gift of being a disciple; the gift of caring for others; the gift of being able to ponder; the gift of offering prayer; the gift of bearing a mighty testimony; and the gift of receiving the Holy Ghost."
"We must remember that to every man is given a gift by the Spirit of God. It is our right and responsibility to accept our gifts and to share them. God’s gifts and powers are available to all of us."

And then I really liked the gifts he chose to emphasize: to ponder, to look to God for direction, to hear and use the small voice, to calm, and to care.



I've felt the need at this time in my life to work on the gift of not passing judgment and the gift of caring for others, and I always need more charity. I was so grateful to give this lesson not only because I had the chance to study more in depth on this topic that I happen to love, but also because it helped me realize a bit more the possible reasons for this new calling. What better place to learn to have charity and care for others than in the Relief Society? And as it currently stands, there's no way I could ever judge any of these amazing girls. I'm not saying my personal challenges are all solved, but I do know this is exactly what I need at exactly this time, and that eventually I'll come out better on the other side.


I should be used to this feeling by now, but I don't think I'll ever cease to be amazed by how perfectly my Father in Heaven knows me. And He knows you perfectly, too! Go ask Him what your gifts are if you're not sure, and He will let you know. It's true. Happy Sabbath.

1 comment: