8.22.2012

A visit from Japan

Aren't they such an adorable family?
Last month we had these lovely friends--Yuki, Rena, and Toshi--visiting from Japan for a few days. And oh my heavens, we had a blast! How bout a complete picture overload to document our time together? Sounds great.

On the first day, we started bright and early in Salt Lake City for breakfast at the Lion House, which was AMAZING. I could probably drink that cinnamon syrup. We ate outside and were the only people out there, so we chatted a while and took pictures and such, just because we could. 
Toshi is always game for funny pictures, which, coincidentally, is one of my favorite traits in a human!

We wandered around Temple Square for a while, and then we checked out the loverly brand new City Creek mall, where we splashed in public water features and shared caramel apples. We had so much fun that all I got were a few scenery phone pics:

Before going home, we stopped to visit my grandparents' in the SLC cemetery. They are really our original connection to Yuki, since she stayed with them as a foreign exchange student in high school. She calls them Mom and Dad, which I absolutely love, and it was a tender moment for us all to visit their graves.

We also made one other SLC stop before heading home, and it was specifically for Rena, who absolutely loves High School Musical. Yes, that's right folks, we visited East High. It was a little dead without Troy and Sharpay (not to mention that it was summer time), but we [read: they] took some great outdoor shots. Go wildcats!

Later that day, Mariah and Rena had a little nail party, and we all went for a jaunt around the neighborhood. Proof:

Then it was the next day. This day was mostly filled with thrift stores and hiking. Yuki and Toshi teach English classes in Japan, so they wanted to buy easy reader books in English to use for practice. We visited two D.I.'s and found lots of great, cheap children's books. I'd call it a success story. The hiking came in later, after the hot summer day started to cool off. We decided to hike the Y, which is a short but steep hike that basically goes like this: 
It makes me ashamed to say this, but despite living here for my entire life, that was my first time hiking the Y. It was awesome though! And I'll definitely be back soon. But it was especially fun to have company with us. They sure were great troopers at getting up that mountain. I think Rena thought it was a race because she took off like a bullet! What a cutie.
Oh look, it's my school.

We were there at a great time and happened to catch sunset upon arrival and city lights on the way down. Both were lovely, but I am a sunset lover 4lyfe! (for life.) 

And there you have the highlights of our time together! There are so many things to learn from culture to culture, and I loved just talking with Toshi and Yuki for these few days. Toshi commented a lot on the mountains, which made me grateful all over again to have them here, but it also really made me want to visit Japan! I also loved making frownies with Rena, which I forgot to mention, but it happened and she was a great helper :) Really it was just a fabulous time all around! Now I just need to find a way to get myself across that lovely Pacific to visit them...hmm.... 

9 comments:

  1. I would have loved to be there to see Yuki! I have little bits of memories with her.

    You know what is cheaper than visiting Japan? San Francisco! We also have coastal water and good seafood (if I recall that meat-eating business correctly). Peer pressure!

    I know what you mean about the "hiking the Y" thing. I have never walked across the Golden Gate Bridge. I think we neglect the touristy things, since we live here. Most of my San Francisco adventures are around food, since SF is a notorious foodie city. People eat foam and bone marrow and stuff. I haven't gotten to that stage, but we do eat out more than I ever did growing up. Caleb's parents are coming in a couple days and most of what we are doing is eating. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm dying to come visit you in San Fran! Except can we please not eat bone marrow? I probably wouldn't drink any of the coastal water either, but thanks for offering it ;) Have fun with Caleb's parents! Unless I took way too long to answer to comments this time around (which I know I did) and they're already gone...in which case I hope you had fun with Caleb's parents.

      Delete
    2. We will not eat bone marrow. Caleb may eat bone marrow and some of our friends geek out over that stuff, but we will always go places with good veggie options and it's sorta hard to make vegetables super weird. Except mushrooms. Some mushrooms are SOOOOOOO weird.

      Very smart of you not to drink the coastal water. There is probably crab poop in it. We have a sink, because we are super middle class like that. You may drink out of that.

      Delete
  2. Alyssa, if you meet Sharpay, send me a picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be sure to, Rena!! I spend lots of time in the music building at my school, so I'll watch for her in case she ever happens to visit :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Alyssa!

    Rena, Yuki and I surely ENJOYed staying with your family!!! THANK ALL OF YOU FOR EVERYTHING!!! I mean the word "thank you" is NOT enough to show our appreciation, we need to VOW!!!

    We enjoyed reading your blog. You're a good photographer. Your pictures brought the super cool, wonderful, unforgettable, peaceful, joyful, and happy memories back. (Oh, no! I must vow again!)

    Yes, sure. You have to come to Japan right away because we've already made your bed in our house!!! We can't wait anymore! Are you coming tomorrow???

    Take care!
    Your picture buddy Futoshi

    PS:
    Please say "Hi" to everybody and tell them we are waiting for your visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toshi!! I would love to come tomorrow to Japan! I'll start packing up my suitcase as soon as I get home from school today ;)

      Also, if you think I'm a good photographer, you should see Jenna and Mariah and Mattea's pictures; they've all taken classes for it, and I'm just a beginner! But thank you very much. I loved looking through them again as well!

      Delete
  4. We have so many things we wanna share with you in Japan. Just fly to Kansai international airport. After that everything will be taken care of. Plan your trip in spring or in autumn. Summer is too hot and humid.
    Love you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip Yuki, I'll be sure to avoid a summer trip. I told Toshi I'll be packing my suitcase tonight...will it be autumn tomorrow when I arrive?? :) Love you all, too! So so glad you came to stay with us!

      Delete