4.17.2020

Origami around the world

One happy result of COVID-19 for me has been finding the motivation to reach out to people I love in ways I normally would never use (or use but very infrequently). A perfect example of this is the Zoom meeting I'm about to join called "Origami Around the World Part II."

The back story: When my mom was in high school (maybe college?), my grandparents had a couple foreign exchange students come to stay with them. My mom came to see Yuki and Shirley as practically sisters, and our families have stayed in touch through the passing years.

A few years ago, Joe and I joined other members of my family to meet up with Yuki and Shirley in Japan for a couple weeks. It was an incredible trip made all the sweeter by truly familial levels of bonding and caring and sharing and loving. I made unforgettable friendships on that trip.

And now, during COVID, I'm suddenly finding time to strengthen those friendships. It's not easy when you live many time zones apart, but the world suddenly slowing down felt like a wide open door to figuring out those time zones. And the magic of technology has reminded me that many people figure out time zones on a regular basis and it's NBD.

So now, we do origami! All together! From Utah, Japan, and Canada! I can't wait for tonight's session.

I'm scheduled to get on in 15 minutes and I gotta grab snacks (duh) and origami paper (double duh), so off I go. But I'll come back when I'm done and post a pic! 


No comments:

Post a Comment