4.27.2020

Sauerkraut: An addition

....to my post about conspiracy theories.

There was one thing the woman said that I agreed with. In her whole long video and her whole long blog post, I found many entertaining things at which to raise my eyebrows, but at the very end, I found myself agreeing with this statement:

"The truth has a feeling to it."

And my brain keeps going back to that since I did my digging around. 

The truth does have a feeling to it. I have felt that feeling in many arenas of my life. I have felt the absence of that feeling in certain circumstances as well. And I have felt the need to search for that feeling increasingly since knowing I'm in a mixed-faith marriage. In fact, my highest priority goal in 2020 is a quest for precisely that feeling.

So did I feel that feeling while I sifted through this woman's information? Not once. I was in part using the experience as a self-taught but deliberate course in both "seeing the other side" and "employing critical thinking." I took a whole week to digest it so that I could see each piece of information through both lens wherever possible. And I do feel like I came out on the other side having learned a thing or two from my class.

But did I feel that what I consumed was truth?

No.

Not even when I was seeing it from the other side. 

What does it mean if she and I are presented with the same material, and she feels truth while I do not? Is one of us wrong and one of us right? Does that mean my exercise in seeing from the other side was a failure? Or are there simply some subjective truths on the table here?

My brain is working through the conundrum presented by one person feeling "the truth" where another person does not. Is "the truth" objective or subjective? Can it be both? If so, is it always both? Are there some subjective and some objective truths? Probably, but is that still true when I add "the" before "truth"??

"The truth has a feeling to it."

I'd love to hear what anyone out there thinks about this topic. I will leave you with one final saying, which I learned from a talk I watched a few nights ago. It's Yiddish (brilliantly and perfectly so, I might add), and it goes like this:

"To a worm in sauerkraut, the world is sauerkraut."

And if sauerkraut is your truth, then who am I to convince you otherwise?

No comments:

Post a Comment